8.15.2005

Breaking up is Hard to Do

Ever been in a relationship in which you're not trying to hard, while your significant other is trying too much? The time comes that you want to end it, but you don't want to hurt their feelings. Not sure what to do? Take it from me -- apply for a few credit cards and then practice your 'break up' talk as you try to cancel your accounts.

Today I was sick at home from work and I decided to stay productive by consolidating some credit and canceling a few cards (three to be exact). Going in, I knew it was going to be heartwrenching. There of course would be the promises of change (while your soon-to-be-ex might promise to be more attentive to your needs, apply more deodorant, or maybe even learn to like professional wrestling, I'm listening to assurances of a lower APR and cash-back rewards).

Luckily there was no crying. I expected a lot of resistance, but was pleasantly surprised to find an automated cancellation service at Circuit City Visa and only a few questions asked at Chase. Discover, on the other hand, was about to offer me financing on a mortgage if I would only stay with them. I held strong, though, and now I'm only thousands of dollars in depth on a couple credit cards.

Capitalism rules!

3 Comments:

Blogger Coolhand complained...

Good for you. I erroneously opened up a card with First bank, thinking it was an application for the mbna card i just opened. now, just trying to cancel the $250 limit card's a pain in the ass. i never used it!

8/17/2005 8:24 AM
comment permalink  
Anonymous Anonymous complained...

eeew. if "applying more deoderant" was even an option, I'm thinking you're SO much better off without!

8/26/2005 9:12 PM
comment permalink  
Anonymous Anonymous complained...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/09/2005 10:35 PM
comment permalink  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->