3.06.2006

I Am What I Am

As those of you might remember, I pledged on this blog to write every day while being unemployed. That didn't happen -- but what did happen, is that I found some direction.

I recently finished reading Robert Rodriguez's book, Rebel without a Crew, in which he pretty much writes a diary about his experiences planning, making, and winning a ton of awards for El Mariachi. It's a good, inspiring read for anyone who thinks they want to get into filmmaking. One of the points RR made was that he was astonished at how many people say they want to be filmmakers, but don't yet call themselves filmmakers. According to him, as long as someone refused to say that they were a filmmaker, they would never succeed in filmmaking.

So here I am, trying to figure out what to do with my life. Currently I'm consulting on a few different jobs, plus web designing. I like web designing. It comes easy to me. I certainly don't know everything there is to know about it, but I'm happy to learn as I go along. So, how about a career in web design? It's obviously shaky starting out, but the pay is good, I can make my own hours as a consultant... the sky is the limit.

I was walking on the street today and bumped into an old professor. He asked what I was up to, so I gave him the three sentence version of my past two months, and finished that now I was self employed as a web designer. It rolled off the tongue very easily. I can also add this to the top of my resume -- no more gap between today and the end of January. I now how a line that starts Jan/06 - Present.

So here I am, a self employed web designer rapping about direction and other things esoteric... do you know anyone who needs a website?

1 Comments:

Blogger Coolhand complained...

No, but kudos to you for being your own man!

3/07/2006 2:53 PM
comment permalink  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->