2.18.2006

Computer Nerds, I Need Your Advice

My laptop is slowly dying, so I'm thinking of building my own desktop. It's been seven years since I last built a desktop, and with motherboard and processor technology advancing practically every day, I'm at a loss as far as motherboard, CPU and hard disk selection. I'm looking to build an inexpensive system (I know I want at least a Pentium or Duron chip, not Celeron nor Sempron), with room for upgrading in the future. Here are my questions:

What's the real difference between Intel and AMD chips, besides price? What's the difference between RAID, ATA and SATA hard disks? What the hell is hyperthreading technology? Help!

2 Comments:

Blogger Coolhand complained...

If you can afford it, go Mac. I have an uncle who built a lot of PCs, and then one day, on a whim, got a mac. best computer-related decision he's made.

amd chips are a bit faster, but I'm not sure if every motherboard that has them are the most stable.

i'll have think about the rest, as I can't remember anything off the top of my head.

2/20/2006 10:51 AM
comment permalink  
Blogger Carl complained...

I have considered Mac, however for my price limit (around $700 or below, w/o monitor), I could only afford a Mac mini, which I think would limit productivity for work. Also, all my design software is Windows-based, so I would have to purchase all new software too.

Maybe someday in the future I'll go Mac, but for now, I need a PC.

2/20/2006 12:01 PM
comment permalink  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->