2.09.2006

Clinging to Youth (and getting hit in the head)

Last night was the first night of Dodgeball. My lower back is still feeling it. In elementary, middle, and highschool, we would play a game called Bombardment, which is about 90% similar to dodgeball. My guess is the weak-kneed parents of Lexington were fearful for their children playing dodgeball and complained to the school system -- thus the renaming and rejiggering of only a few rules. Silly parents don't know what hit them (or their kids).

I was interested to see what kind of crowd would be there. Surprise, suprise... it was all twenty-somethings, clinging to youth and with something to prove (this writer and his team included). Last night was also a good measure of my peers' athleticism. Let's just say we all need to work out more. I'm not even sure how we did. Once I started running around I never caught my breath, and I all I remember is a big blur from the last half hour.

Anyway, it was a fun evening and I'm looking forward to next week, just in time for my back to heal and then twist up again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Coolhand complained...

Bombardment was the BEST game. That and "crack-a-bout." I think that game was played only at Bowan Elementary school though.

2/09/2006 6:15 PM
comment permalink  
Blogger Elliott complained...

I vaguely remember crack-a-bout (I went to Estabrook), but don't remember the rules. Refresh my memory?

2/10/2006 12:20 PM
comment permalink  
Anonymous Anonymous complained...

We played crackabout at Harrington too. I believe the person with the ball yells "CRACKABOUT!!!" and then chucks the ball at the nearest person while everyone runs away screaming and yelling. The last person standing wins. Of course inevitably Joey Neustadt would get hit in the eye and the game would end prematurely.

2/10/2006 1:32 PM
comment permalink  
Blogger Elliott complained...

Somehow I bet Alex was aiming for that eye.

2/11/2006 10:51 AM
comment permalink  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->