3.22.2006

Carl's Netflix Review #1

In response to Coolhand's comment on my last post, here is my first Netlix Review:

GARDEN STATE
3/5 stars

Call me stupid or unrefined, but I just don't get these existential examination films. Some (Virgin Suicides) I get, but most of the time, movies like Garden State and Lost in Translation just blow over me and I often feel like the writer/director of these films decided "hey, I'm going to make this ambigous with long silences and soundtrack of whatever is hot on The OC... everyone who watches The OC will love it if I include the right emo soundtrack."

Zach Braff does a 180 from his JD character from Scrubs, which is actually unsettling. I was almost waiting for him to jump up and down and tell me that the whole movie was a big joke. And then there's Natalie Portman... I liked her in The Professional. Yeah....

I won't say that it borders on pretention, because Zach Braff seems like a genuine guy, but Garden State just rubbed me the wrong way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Coolhand complained...

i saw on the today show where ZB said he wanted to do a film that was just about reaching that awkward mid-to-late 20's stage where you don't quite know what to do with yourself. And i guess it's based on experiences him or his friends had.

we should write that movie.

and i'll get on writing that stuff for your website...

3/24/2006 2:01 AM
comment permalink  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->